Collection of Information
Information you provide to us
We collect information that you provide directly to us when you use our Site.
This may include:
- Contact Information: we collect your name, email address, and other contact information when you sign up for an account, participate in a promotion or survey, or contact us for support.
- User Content: we collect any information that you upload to the Site, such as comments, reviews, predictions, photos, or other content.
- Other Information: we may also collect other information that you choose to provide to us, such as your interests, preferences, or demographic information.
Information we collect automatically
In addition to the information you provide to us, we automatically collect information when you use the Site.
This may include:
- Activity Information: We may collect information about your activity on the Site, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device and Usage Information: We may collect information about how you access the Site, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, etc.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Technologies: We may use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files that are placed on your device when you visit certain websites. They allow us to remember your preferences and to personalize your experience on the Site. Web beacons are small graphic images or other web programming code that may be included in the Site and email messages. They allow us to count visits or to understand the effectiveness of a particular marketing campaign.
Information we collect from other sources
In addition to the information you provide to us and the information we collect automatically, we may also collect information about you from other sources.
This may include:
- Social Media Information: If you choose to log in or connect with the Site through a social media platform, we may receive information about you from that platform. This may include your name, profile picture, email address, and other information that you have made available through the platform.
- Publicly Available Information: We may collect information about you from publicly available sources, such as government records or publicly available databases.
- Third-party partner Information: We may receive information about you from third-party partners, such as marketing and advertising companies, analytics providers, and other service providers.
Please note that we are not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information we receive from third-party sources, and we do not have any control over how these sources collect, use, or disclose your information.
Information we derive
In addition to the information that you provide to us or that we collect automatically or from other sources, we may also derive information from the data we collect. This derived information may be used to personalize and improve your experience with the Site, as well as to better understand our users and how they interact with the Site.
This may include:
- Usage Information: We may analyze how you use the Site to derive insights about your interests and preferences, as well as to identify patterns and trends in usage.
- Demographic Information: We may derive demographic information, such as age, gender, and location, from the information you provide to us or from other sources.
- Social Media Information: If you choose to connect your social media accounts to the Site, we may derive information about you from those accounts, such as your social media profile information, interests, and contacts.
We may combine the derived information with other information we collect about you to create a more complete profile of you and your preferences. We may also share this derived information with third parties for marketing or analytics purposes.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect for a variety of purposes, this may include:
- Provide and improve the Site, including personalization and customization of your experience.
- Communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and provide customer service.
- If you apply for a job with us, to determine your eligibility for a position with us.
- Comply with legal obligations and respond to legal process, including to protect our rights, property, and interests, and to prevent fraud and other illegal activities.
- Conduct internal research and development and make business decisions about current and future product and service offerings.
- Debug to identify and repair errors in the Site.
- Maintain the security and integrity of the Site, including to authenticate users and prevent unauthorized access and use.
- Enforce our Terms of Service and other policies.
- Defend against or pursue claims, disputes, or litigation – in court or elsewhere.
- Personalize and improve advertising and marketing, including to show you relevant content and ads both on and off the Site.
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
We may also aggregate and anonymize your information and use it for any purpose not prohibited by applicable law, including for research and analysis, to improve our services and products, and to create and distribute reports and other materials. Aggregated and anonymized information cannot reasonably be used to identify you individually.
Sharing of Information
We will not share your information with third-parties except in the following circumstances:
- With your consent: we may share your Personal Information with third parties if we have obtained your consent to do so.
- Service Providers: we may share your Personal Information with third-party service providers that need access to Personal Information in order to perform services for us, such as companies that assist us with analytics services. These service providers may have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- Business Partners: we may share your Personal Information with our business partners for joint marketing activities, such as promotions or contests. If you choose to participate in such promotions or contests, your Personal Information may be disclosed to these business partners, who may use it for their own marketing purposes. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of our business partners to understand how they collect, use, and share your Personal Information.
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose your Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend our rights or property, (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Site or the public, or (iv) protect against legal liability.
- Security: If we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of the Site infrastructure (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks).
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Whaleful is intended for users who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence. By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are at least 18 or 21 years of age, depending on applicable laws. If you are under the age 18, you are not permitted to use the Site.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from minors. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Information from an individual under the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, we will take reasonable steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child has provided Personal Information to us, please contact us immediately and we will work to delete any such Personal Information.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Advertising and analytics services provided by others may also collect information about your use of the Site and other websites or apps over time for non-advertising purposes, such as analytics and to help improve the Site.
As a result, although we strive to protect Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us through or in connection with our Site, that we store on our systems or that is stored on our service providers’ systems.
Third Party Links
The Site may contain links to third-party websites that are not owned or operated by us. We do not have any control over these websites and we cannot be responsible for their content, privacy policies or practices. By accessing these third-party websites, you agree to do so at your own risk. We encourage you to review the terms and policies of these websites before using them.
International Data Transfers
We may transfer your Personal Information to countries other than your own country, including to the United States. These countries may have data protection rules that are different from your country. When transferring data across borders, we take measures to comply with applicable data protection laws related to such transfer. Officials (such as law enforcement or security authorities) in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), United Kingdom or Switzerland, we comply with applicable laws to provide an adequate level of data protection for the transfer of your Personal Information to recipients in countries outside of the EEA, United Kingdom, and Switzerland.
You can choose not to provide certain information to us, but this may limit your ability to use certain features of our Site.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can disable cookies through your browser settings. Please note that disabling cookies may limit the availability and functionality of the Site.
You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by following the instructions in the communication or by contacting us directly.
Updating Your Information
You can update your Personal Information at any time by logging into your account and editing your profile. If you wish to delete your account or have any questions about updating your information, please contact us.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), California residents have certain privacy rights, which include the right to:
- To request that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you in the last 12 months, including the categories of sources of that information, the purpose for collecting it, and the categories of third parties with whom we share it.
- To request that we delete your Personal Information, subject to certain exceptions.
- Not receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of your privacy rights.
To exercise these rights, please submit a verifiable request to us using the contact details provided below. We will respond to your request consistent with the requirements of the CCPA.
Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under California law. For example, we need certain information to provide our services to you, and we may retain certain information for legal or business purposes.
Additional Disclosures for Individuals in Europe
If you are located in the European Economic Area, United Kingdom or Switzerland, you have certain rights with respect to your Personal Information under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We collect and process your Personal Information based on one or more of the following lawful bases:
- Consent: the individual has given clear consent for their personal data to be processed for a specific purpose.
- Contract: the processing of personal data is necessary for the performance of a contract with the individual or to take steps at the request of the individual prior to entering into a contract.
- Legal obligation: the processing of personal data is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject.
- Vital interests: the processing of personal data is necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual or another natural person.
- Public interest: the processing of personal data is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
- Legitimate interests: the processing of personal data is necessary for the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual.
You have the following rights with respect to your Personal Information:
- Right of access: You have the right to request access to your Personal Information and to receive a copy of that information.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to request that we correct any inaccuracies in your Personal Information.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to request that we erase your Personal Information under certain circumstances.
- Right to restrict processing: You have the right to request that we restrict processing of your Personal Information under certain circumstances.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive the Personal Information you provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and to transmit that information to another controller.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Information under certain circumstances.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your Personal Information at any time.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us. We may ask you to verify your identity before fulfilling your request.
If you have a concern about our processing of Personal Information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. Contact details of your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
- For individuals in the EEA: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm
- For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
- For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html